Saturday 1 June 2013

Pointless... Solutions


We have all had a situation, at work or at home, where we thought we had the 'ideal' solution to something that was bothering us... And we have all experienced the feeling of thinking afterwards 'that was not the best idea'. But you, like me, have probably also experienced our idea being criticised without being given a different approach... So, we have all learned (the hard way) that it is pointless to criticise someone's work without giving some, suitable, alternatives... How else can you come up with an idea that will make the difference.

And so I was thinking about our government; they are facing some serious issues and are trying to come up with the most suitable (if not perfect) solution. What are the issues they are trying to overcome? Let's make a short list of the obvious ones:

  • The country is in serious financial debt (9 times the annual income)
  • The NHS is too costly (and the costs are increasing year on year)
  • All forms of benefits are costly (and there is no room for navigation)
  • The country is in a continued recession
  • Child poverty has increased
  • Homelessness has increased

This government has come up with several solutions, some on a local level but mostly on a national level. I could bore you to death with listing them here but I won't because you are most likely already aware of, if not affected by, them. Besides, there are far cleverer people (Steve Walker, Mike Sivier and Johnny Void to name but a few) than me who have already addressed these.



What I will say about these 'solutions' is this: 'They (the solutions) have divided the country into two categories of people; the 1% of people that are getting richer and the 99% of people that are getting poorer. People who, through no fault of their own, are in a situation they do not wish but cannot get out of due to this government.'
(Recognise the fellow on the left?)



And now, seeing how I have criticised the government's 'solutions', I had better come up with some, suitable, solutions... And, yes, I am well aware of the fact that (some of) these might not be popular with some (or most).

Looking at the list of issues above, they all seem to have one commonality: money... Or, more precisely, a lack of money... An increase in money is, therefore, most welcome. We all know that lending money to fill a hole will only leave you with a bigger hole, so that cannot be the solution. Then what? How about government closing all the tax loopholes... That would give this country an extra (conservative estimate of) £30 billion... Per year, year-on-year... Not enough to deal with all the issues but every 'little bit' helps, as we all know. Government could abolish the entire welfare state, that would save a significant amount of money but would only increase issues such as child poverty, homelessness and healthcare. And I like living in a welfare state so now I enter the world of true controversy: TAX... Please, bear with me, I promise it will only get stranger from here on in... And I will make some 'enemies' on the way, I am sure...

Government could tax all income, 100%. Oh, stop your moaning, I can already hear it: 'that would leave me with absolutely nothing, how am I supposed to pay the bills, feed the family, get to (or look for) work'... Please, bear with me and I will explain:


I am talking about government taking our total income and giving everyone - regardless of social standing, employment status or position on the proverbial ladder - the same amount of money per week to spend. At the same time, government levels rent for all living accommodations (both private and social) and lowers tax on food and essentials as well as equalising the prices for gas, electricity and water, regardless of which company you are with or where you live. This way we all get an equal piece of the pie... For those people who have their own business; government can set aside a specified amount of money per week to deal with purchasing...

Thank you for sticking with me this long... I just have one more 'solution' for an issue that affects us all, more than we would like to believe: this government... My solution?

No comments:

Post a Comment